DETROIT – Mark Adams, executive director, Cadillac Global Design, and Bob Ferguson, vice president, Global Cadillac, addressed news media at the reveal of the 2014 Cadillac ELR extended-range electric vehicle on Tuesday at the North American International Auto Show.
MARK ADAMS (Executive Director, Cadillac Global Design)
Hello. And thank you for joining us this morning.
As designers, we look to history and our rich Cadillac heritage for inspiration…
But we turn to technology to propel us into the future…
And most important: we are always guided by our core values — the authentic essence of what the Cadillac brand stands for.
This combination of heritage, technology and brand values is what makes Cadillac special.
We call it Art and Science — the artistic expression of innovative technology.
Cadillac is bold, even occasionally provocative.
We have world-class quality, craftsmanship and precision. And we are innovative — in both technical and design terms.
And yes, Cadillac is American… and proud of it!
These are truths about our brand from history and in evidence today.
We’re not reinventing this formula…
We’re using our Art and Science philosophy to move Cadillac into the realm of high emotions, with leading technology. And it’s global.
Today marks yet another step on Cadillac’s journey.
With cars like the ATS sport sedan, we have demonstrated that Cadillac can compete at the highest levels, head-to-head with the world’s best.
The next step is logical — we will expand into new segments, with progressive technology.
We previously showed the Converj concept car that clearly indicated our intentions.
Now, we bring that concept to fruition.
It is a sleek luxury coupe.
It is the first car with Extended Range Electric Vehicle technology ever offered by a full-line luxury brand.
It is… the 2014 Cadillac ELR.
The 2014 ELR is a further expansion of Cadillac’s Art & Science DNA… delivering luxury, dramatic design and energy efficiency — creating this engaging, fun-to-drive coupe.
ELR further advances the expression of Cadillac design.
- A Sleek profile
- Prominent, sculpted, muscular body side
- And a wide, planted stance with 20″ wheels pushed to the corners.
- All lighting is LED, including the headlamps, and features the iconic Cadillac vertical signature front & rear.
- A progressive take on the classic Cadillac grille features a flush execution with tinted dark chrome inserts.
- This combined with Active shutters in the lower grille that close at high speeds help improve aerodynamics.
The interior of ELR is very important — it is the first application of a new interior design theme that will define the next wave of production cars from Cadillac.
The emphasis is on modern luxury, connectivity and precisely crafted details.
- It has a driver-focused, classic 2+2 layout.
- With a beautiful Hand-wrapped cut-and-sewn interior with authentic materials including beautiful semi-aniline leather seating
This craftsmanship compliments the latest in connectivity… Cadillac CUE.
The overall atmosphere of the interior is that it feels handcrafted… it’s true luxury.
The dramatic design of the ELR is paired with a uniquely engaging driving experience.
- ELR offers a full driving range of more than 300 miles.
- This is what separates E-REV technology from the pack.
- Typical daily commuting occurs emissions-free… but for long drives the range-extending engine-generator powers the car seamlessly.
- Drivers will also enjoy the instantaneous torque of an electric motor – as much as a BMW M3: 295 lb-ft of torque.
ELR is engineered specifically for luxury coupe drivers.
- Four selectable drive modes including:
- A Sport Mode with more aggressive throttle response, suspension settings and steering feel.
- Together with a new front suspension that offers spirited handling and agility.
- It also has a new “Re-gen on Demand” feature which enables more driver engagement.
- Paddle shifters behind the steering wheel enable the driver to activate regenerative braking.
- For example, the driver can pulse the brakes by hand, balancing the weight of the car properly to enter into a corner with your foot ready to accelerate.
So in its simplest terms, the Cadillac ELR is Art & Science personified.
Now for some closing thoughts on where Cadillac’s journey might take us next, here’s… Bob Ferguson.
BOB FERGUSON(Vice President, Global Cadillac)
Thank you, Mark.
I’d like to first acknowledge Cadillac’s design and engineering teams.
They are our best assets and I’d put them up against anyone.
Now, back to the beautiful car before you.
ELR is an elegant synthesis of elements in one car.
It combines undeniable luxury, provocative design and progressive technology.
It’s an offering that simply cannot be found anywhere else in the luxury marketplace.
And we have it here at Cadillac.
ELR is a treasure – not only for its design and technology – but because it will be exclusive.
ELR will be manufactured in limited numbers at our plant in Detroit.
In addition to the U.S., we will export ELR only to the largest global luxury markets, including China and Europe.
ELR is a very important – and even surprising – car for Cadillac.
I believe it will be a landmark in Cadillac’s history.
It sits at the intersection of beauty in design and the best of engineering.
And it is engineered right for the times.
It is a special car that exemplifies Cadillac’s greatest achievements throughout history.
ELR signals Cadillac’s ongoing expansion as a brand that defines the best of technology and reaches a new generation of luxury buyers.
Simply put, ELR is a revolutionary vehicle… a pivot point for Cadillac that will allow us to reestablish ourselves as a technological leader in the luxury space.
Today, Cadillac is competing head to head with the world’s best.
The CTS-V has done that in the realm of high performance for several years now.
And then you have the new Cadillac ATS…
We’re so proud that ATS was selected as the North American Car of the Year.
It’s a tremendous achievement.
And it underscores the opportunity we have before us to define the next chapter of the Cadillac brand.
That’s why I’m here: to expand the product-led growth of Cadillac globally, and build new connections to luxury consumers.
We have a lot of work to do but we have the vision, the product and the people to rise to the challenge.
The next chapter begins with the Cadillac ELR.
Come on up and take a look.
Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. In recent years, Cadillac has engineered a historic renaissance led by artful engineering and advanced technology. More information on Cadillac can be found at media.cadillac.com.